From the start of the development phase of the farm in March 2015, the chairperson of Ilula Orphan Program, Berit Skaare, gave the responsibility to develop the farm to the Norwegian volunteer Osmund Ueland, with quite some experience for project management, fundraising and being on top of big organizations like Norwegian Railway.
The project manager for a development project like FFF is a professional, with many years’ experience in the field of project management and Community development. Project managers have the responsibility of the planning, procurement, and execution of all parts of the project, in any undertaking that has a defined scope, defined start and a defined finish, regardless of industry. This individual seldom participates directly in the activities that produce the end result, but rather strives to maintain the progress, mutual interaction and tasks of various parties in such a way that reduces the risk of overall failure, maximizes benefits and minimizes costs.
The project manager report to the Board of both FFF and ACE, and are at the same time Chairperson of FFF and Vice-chairperson for ACE. This is a special organization for the development phase up to the official opening of FFF in 2021.
The project manager has a mandate up to the completion of the whole project in 2021, which include:
- Commercial farming (Farm for the Future Tanzania Ltd)
- Training (NGO) – Agronomic for Community development (ACE)
Other duties and responsibilities.
- Build the trust and find the right partners, and establish cooperation with them, that will empower the Community
- Raise funds through building trust and asking for donations, selling of shares and/or other contribution from Norway, Tanzania and other Countries
- Find Board members that have time, experience and interest to contribute to the success
- Select advisors that can guide them in building up a commercial farm and training Hub
- Establish a Strategy for the coming 4 years, with the situation today, wanted future, main action to be taken, and KPI and Communication linked to.
- Establish Budget and Cash flow for the first year and for the Strategy period, that is a tool in the daily running
- Find the right Architect, Engineering Company and Contractor that can work as a team to control the development of the new facilities within budget, time and quality
- Develop the farm with equipment and facilities that will attract equity investors to take part in the further development
- Find the right qualified people with potential for expansion, who live the values.
- Continue to develop the organization after the marked potential
- Build a strong business culture and develop business opportunities for sustainable commercial growth
- Use the link between a commercial farm and the training part, to build up ACE to a National training hub in Agriculture
- Establish so good relations with Partners, Shareholders, and Donors, so they all want to take part in the Community development through the two organizations on Farm for the Future.
- Continuously keep the main owner IOP, and all other stakeholder updated on the development of the project.
- Develop project work plans and ensure timely implementation of the project activities in line with work plans and activity schedules
- Provide daily support and guidance to the Farm manager and Chief Instructor to develop, review, oversee and review project strategy and activities related to the implementation of the project according to the project design, risk, and challenges encountered during implementation;
In the daily work:
The project manager has daily hands-on to all main activities going on in the development of the whole project.
With his position as Chairperson of FFF and Vice Chairperson of ACE, that will ease the whole communication and make decisions on time